News‎ > ‎

Oldest Trophy's New Lease Of Life

posted Dec 18, 2014, 12:09 PM by Malcolm Fletcher   [ updated Dec 18, 2014, 12:19 PM ]
The league’s oldest trophy has been successfully renovated and given a new lease of life.

The division one championship cup, first presented in 1932 to lone-gone Dawley club Royal Exchange, has had 22 new shields put on its original wooden base.

That’s because the silver band listing the winners for the last 81 years is completely full, leading the Shropshire Trophy & Bowling Centre to come up with the shields solution.

And the first of those shields has now been engraved ‘2014 Newport’ after their table-topping feats last season, when Fishes star Martyn France also topped the first division averages.

The upgrade of this trophy, which is solid silver and would cost in the region of £6,000 to replace like-for-like, is part of the review of all the Mid Shropshire trophies that has been carried out by officers.

So they should be in tip-top condition for the league’s annual presentation dinner on Saturday,10 January, 2015, at the Telford Whitehouse Hotel (7pm start) when more than 200 are booked to attend.
Comments