League News

 

Latest Update On Minutes Front

posted Nov 8, 2017, 12:01 PM by Malcolm Fletcher

Minutes of the October Executive Committee Meeting - held on Tuesday, October 3, 2017, at the Sir John Bayley Club

ACCEPTED AS TRUE RECORD AT THE LEAGUE'S NOVEMBER MEETING

 

17/95  Chairman’s remarks to open the meeting

He congratulated St Georges on their Harris Cup and to all those who won their division. Commiserations to those teams who finished bottom. Think the weather was ok apart from one Friday. Hope everyone Winters well! 

 

17/96  Apologies & In Memoria

There were apologies from Richard Chesters, Steve Roberts and Phil King.

 

17/97  Minutes of the September Management Committee Meeting

The minutes were accepted as a true record, proposed by St Georges and seconded by Madeley Cricket Club. 

17/98  Matters arising

There were no matters arising. 

 

17/99  General Secretary’s report & Correspondence

Ladies and gents, the season is over for the bowlers now but the work continues for your League officers. In fact the pace is about to pick up for some of them!!

Following last month’s meeting, I have informed Wolverhampton-based ECC, who want to join our Friday night divisions in 2018, that the League require and official letter of application and assurances about player conduct. Nothing has been received as yet. I have contacted Staffs county assoc sec Mark Bircumshaw who, in his near 3 years in the role of secretary, has had no issues with ECC. But given the contacts for ECC from various websites, I am not actually sure who their bowls club secretary is! It could be Dave Taylor, or Cath Hyatt! Meeting informed other contact for ECC, Charles Evans, had died.

The report into Shifnal’s protest from the League’s new disciplinary committee will be heard later on the agenda and, once we know what their verdict is, we must decide what to do with the £30 protest cheque . . .

With competition secretary Phil King away on holiday, I had much more involvement than normal in arrangements for the Harris Cup final and I would like to thank Newport and Dave Doody for their efforts to stage the match.

I have been asked by Brian Williams to check the League’s minutes between 2004 and 2008 to see if Ally Williams was actually banned from playing bowls. He is eager to start playing again, but only in the Mid Shropshire Senior Citizens Lge.

The League proudly sent two teams down to Ludlow to take part in the Shropshire junior inter-league championship – making up a third of the entries! Both teams did us proud and the A team were mighty unlucky not to make the main final after drawing with hosts and red hot favourites Ludlow in their round robin group at Burway, where they took on a drew with five home bowlers out of six.

Sadly that match was marred by unacceptable language by the son of the Ludlow team manager, who after a protest made via the organiser, was made to offer a grudging apology to the lady marker he had abused. That cast a shadow over the day, but a never-say-die victory in the consolation final against Whitchurch A was a fantastic reward for the efforts of the youngsters, who were captained so well by league and county under-18 champion Harry Church. And big thanks to Brenda Slingo, Derek Killen and Phil Venables for all they did.

Another big success from my point of view was the re-launch of the Dave Ellis Shield in its new guise as a Mid Shropshire League ladies versus gents challenge match. It was played on Saturday (Sept 30) at Sinclair with a 6pm start and, due to the lateness of the arrangements, it was mainly matches of family or club connections.

In the end there were 15 individual games and the men ended up winning by 33 shots. Despite it being a wet night, everyone seemed to enjoy it and the atmosphere was nice and relaxed – so I intend to stick with the same format next year and have asked Allscott to host it, hopefully in September. But for now my sincere thanks go to Sinclair for all they did and everyone who took part.

And finally, perhaps the best news of all, just days after the September meeting I got mail from Sport England telling us that our second bid for a small grant to buy five sets of state of the art junior coaching junior equipment had been SUCCESSFUL.

We have been awarded £7,145 and to say I’m chuffed after so much hard work went into the bid is an understatement! It’s the culmination of three years work, which started with the Junior Development Policy that was eventually put into practice with the After Schools Bowls Club at Hadley Learning Community and Charlton. And that policy, with its lessons plans, is there for ALL member clubs who have the willingness to try and to boost their younger numbers to use when they approach their local primary school offering coaching for youngsters.

But this grant will help take the policy to a new level – and provide coaching for all ages at clubs not just in Mid Shropshire but all over the county.

There are still one or two things to iron out before we get the money – one being to go to the county association next week and the coaching body to set up a proper structure to implement use of the coaching equipment.

But this is a national first and my sincere thanks go to the likes of Steve Roberts and Rob Burroughs who worked so hard with me on the policy, the people and coaches who put it into practice at HLC, Joe Lockley at Energize and perhaps most of all my wife Marg who had to put up with all my moaning about the project taking up too much of my time.

I’m just so please to say we got there in the end!!!

Thank you . . .

 

Correspondence received 11th September– from Steve Wall, MSBL Webmaster:

Malcolm,

The capacity of the league’s website is reaching its limit and proving a little difficult to manage, as files have to be deleted prior to uploading new files etc.

I think the time is rapidly approaching when we may have to move away from the excellent free service that Google sites has provided us with over the years, to a paid service hosted elsewhere.

I will do some background research and hopefully have some figure for the next league meeting.

Steve Wall

 

17/100  Treasurer’s report

We have a balance of £21,704. The end of season bills have come out later due to finishing the season in October, they need to be paid by November please.

17/101  Competition Secretary’s end of season review

Unfortunately I'm not able to attend tonight's meeting due to work commitments so here is my report,

  • Well done to Allscott on winning Ashton Shield and Wrockwardine Wood on winning Ashton Cup again - also to St Georges on their Harris cup win and Tom Killen for winning the Under-15 Merit.

  • My thanks to all the clubs for the use of their greens and well done to all the winners and runners-up this year.

  • It's that time of the year when I ask all league winners and comp winners that I need all cups / shields back so I can get them engraved.

  • And lastly, thanks must go to my fellow officers Sean , Mike and Malcolm for their help this year as I have been very busy with work.

  • Hopefully I won't be so busy next year - and if I have missed anyone out I apologise!

 

League to consider holding the Ashton finals on one day - either at two green venue or to run one after the other. This would avoid the use of August Bank Holiday weekend and reduce the commitment League officers make . . . .

 

17/102  Fixture Secretary’s report

Sir John Bayley have broken rule 21 again. They played a Division One player in Division Two. He recommended £25 fine along with the 5 points deduction. Everyone agreed. The Chairman said that he didn't like these rules that says up to an amount. It needs to be one way or another. 

 

17/103  Disciplinary Committee Report on Shifnal protest (div 2 home to Wrock Wd B on 14/7)

Shifnal Protest Hearing Report 7th Sep.

Shifnal Protest regarding MSBL div 2 fixture v Wrockwardine Wood B on July 14th 2017

The Disciplinary Committee, Dave Winwood, John Palmer, Terry Whitehouse and Colin Rudrum (Chair) met with Shifnal Representatives Stuart Duncan and Bob Haddon at Newport Bowling Club 7th Sep 2017.

 

All present had a copy of the Formal Protest from Shifnal regarding a scheduled match played on 14th July 2017.

The Protest stated that Wrockwardine Wood rescheduled a match for their 1st Div A team which should have been played on Friday 14th July to the previous night Thursday 13th July. This enabled them to field a much stronger team for Friday 14th July in the 2nd Div B team utilising players who do and normally play in their 1st Div A team on a Friday.

Shifnal A team Captain brought this to the attention of the Wrockwardine B team Captain who offered the reason that they would have been unable to field a team if these players did not play.

Shifnal BC believe that Wrockwardine Wood BC are in breach of Rule 21 h of the MSBL Rules and should forfeit the 4 games which the 4 Wrockwardine players who normally play for their A team who played in the scheduled (not rescheduled) match on Friday 14th July 2017 for Wrockwardine Wood B team. The four players being Sian Skelton, Steve Downs, Tony Garmson and Josh Cotton.

At our meeting Shifnal thought that WW failed to manage their Reg. 8’s properly and fairly. That they took advantage of the rearranged Rule to strengthen their Div 2 side by using Div 1 Bowlers who at the time were in the top ten of the Div 1 League. Shifnal also thought that WW could have rearranged their Div 2 match scheduled for the Friday 14th July instead of their Div 1 Match. They felt that the MSBL had let them down by allowing these players to play in a lower Div. which is not in the spirit of the game. The 4 players concerned are regular Div 1 players, 2 of which played only the one game all season in Div.2 and that was against Shifnal, and the other 2 played twice. The result of this match could have caused Shifnal’s Div 2 team to be relegated which would have caused the club to lose out financially.

The delegates of the committee replied that although no league rules were broken we could sympathise with the situation. Clubs can be dishonest and use the rules to their advantage, a much tighter Rule 21 is needed and worded so there is not the ambiguity of 21h.

Clubs should be more responsible and honest in monitoring their own Reg. 8’s.

The League Scrutineer must be seen to scrutinise more thoroughly.

The situation that brought about this protest was not directed at Shifnal but could have involved any club in the MSBL.

Shifnal representatives were asked to consider with their club to submit a rule which was clear not ambiguous to the MSBL AGM to replace or amend Rule 21.

The result of this match could have caused Shifnal to have been relegated which would have been unfair as no other team in the Division had played against the quality of those players that played in that game against them. Fortunately this situation has not been realised as the Shifnal team has finished in 11th position in the Div. 2. They would have finished 9th if those 4 games results were reversed.

 

Colin Rudrum, Disciplinary Committee Chairman

 

The chairman thanked Colin Rudrum, John Palmer, Terry Whitehouse & Dave Winwood for their time on the committee. He reminded clubs that it's their rules that they help write, but it might need looking at. John Palmer said we don't know what situation Wrockwardine Wood were in. Allan Gaut replied that they were short of a lot of players and were not trying to gain an advantage. It was suggested that the rule might need rewriting. You don't have to monitor your registered 8s as not in the rules. Steve Wall said we need an open and transparent process. The General Secretary commented that the disciplinary system worked.
Colin Rudrum thought they should get the cheque back as they went through with it to bring it to other clubs attention. Clubs need to be honest. The chairman said the clubs complain but it’s their rules, they can change it if they wish. John Palmer felt they didn’t need to go through with it because the officers said that no rules had been broken. Dave Evans commented that we could set a precedent. John Palmer brought up that rule 21h doesn’t cover games being brought forward. Steve Wall commented that this discussion suggests ambiguity. Colin Rudrum proposed they got their cheque back with Steve Wall seconding. 12 voted for with 2 against, passed. 
Allan Gaut asked about the rule of the Scruiteenier. He said that it was difficult to check 1000 bowlers. Allan replied they hadn’t changed their registered players much because it hadn’t been picked up. John Palmer said they were so many different circumstances to. Steve Wall commented it wasn’t just Shifnal. 

17/104 Sport England junior coaching grant bid update

This was covered in 17/99 General Secretary’s Report

 

17/105 ‘Future Ideas’ Sub Group recall

There will be a meeting either next week or the week after. The General Secretary will liaise with those involved and find a suitable date.

 

17/106 Annual Dinner update

The guests were decided as League President Mike & Linda Potter, Chairman Sean Round plus one, County President Mike Caddick plus one, Ladies September Isle of Man Winner Angela Gaut plus one, Junior Under 18 Merit champion and Junior Inter League Captain Harry Church and the sponsors. Marg Fletcher said that the wine is just to be paid on the night but needs to be ordered before. Choices need to be in by the November Meeting and money by the December one. 

 

17/107 County matters

The behaviour at the Junior Inter League will be raised at the County meeting. They had been questions over the behaviour of some players from Burway at the County Cup Final. Dave Peach had been banned from playing or attending any Bowls affiliated to the SCGBA. Steve Pessall asked what if he attends a public green. Bernard Higgins asked why he had been banned, which was because of his behaviour at a Tanners competition and County Cup Final. Steve Wall asked if the county could inform clubs who run Open Competitions about who is banned. 

 

17/108 Any Other Business

Steve Pessall said the ECC Open was now the St George’s Open. Graham Turner was just running it and they had put some money in. 
Dave Evans asked about putting the minutes on the website, which Rob Burroughs and Malcolm Fletcher will sort. 

With no further business the chairman closed the meeting at 8.38 p.m.

Future Ideas Sub Group Delivers . . .

posted Nov 3, 2017, 1:08 PM by Malcolm Fletcher

Feedback from MSBL ‘Future Ideas’ Sub Group that met in October and will be discussed at the November management meeting on Tuesday the 7th . . .  

* Named Players process – welcomed fixture secretary Ric Hudson’s suggested rule changes in response to disciplinary committee report into Shifnal protest and other concerns. But they need an addition so that clubs must monitor their 12s and 8s – assisted by new Mike Beckett system to flag up anomalies – with emails to fixture secretary and possibly clubs direct. Then 48 hours to react? 

* Create a set Fine for late team withdrawals – change wording of 12 (c) to: Failure to do so will result in the club being fined £50. 

* Match fees bill to be split into 2 – payable by clubs in July and October. Idea put forward by Martin Gaut, but could there be just one bill at the end of the season? Treasurer urged to cut costs by emailing out invoices and also to accept payments direct to the League’s bank account as the days of cheques are fast disappearing . . . 

* League to pay a green fee to clubs for hosting qualifiers and finals of £10. But needs a new Competition Rule 11 to say fee will only be paid if the green has been prepared for play on the day. League to pay fee by a credit on clubs end of season bill? 

* League to pay token fee of £10 to chairman Colin Rudrum and the 3 others who agree to sit when the disciplinary panel has to be called. We could cover this by raising the cost of a protest (rule 20(b) to £40? 

* Walkover rules for Thursday & Saturday divisions. Needs clarification due to different points scoring system. Suggestion is that the not guilty team receives its average home or away points return for that season, depending if the game conceded is home or away! If it is as an early season fixture then the executive committee will have to decide. Fine for guilty club to be £40 (8 x £5) and score for divisional averages to be 21-11. 

* Competition entries by email (and by test and Facebook post) - and clubs to pay for them at end of season?   

* Both Ashton finals on one day at 2 green venue or played consecutively To use the first Saturday in September, as in this year’s programme, the comps sec may have to bring Ashton Cup semis forward a week. Junior Merits on one day too? 

* Work towards Friday night promotion play-offs in divisions one and two between teams finishing third from bottom and those third from top in divisions two and three. 

* End production of the League’s annual Handbook to start to help ease the general secretary’s workload. Ensure updated rules are on the MSBL website and that clubs are able to download them as a pdf. Try to appoint assistant secretary in 2018 - with a view to him or her to taking over the full role in 2019 . . .   

* Aim to launch a new ‘Club Person of the Year’ honour in future years – but not using Dean Law’s inappropriate 'monster' trophy. Nominations from clubs or officers to decide? And award at AGM?

Double Deadline Reminder

posted Oct 28, 2017, 10:18 AM by Malcolm Fletcher

Member clubs are urged to remember to important League deadlines that are looming . . .

Clubs have until Tuesday 31st October to get any rule change proposals to the General  Secretary for consideration at the 2018 AGM in January

He will accept official letters by email - and to date he has received one proposed alteration.

And clubs have until Wednesday 1st November to pay their end of season accounts to Treasurer Celia Miles.

Helping Hand On Way?

posted Oct 19, 2017, 6:20 AM by Malcolm Fletcher

Clubs and bowlers in the League look set to get a helping hand next year.

The future ideas sub group met on Tuesday 17th October and they want to see clubs who host League competitions and finals paid a green fee of £10 - and the bowlers who enter them be able to do so by email or text to the comps secretary.

They are also proposing that the annual accounts are split into two payments to ease the financial burden on clubs early in the season and that anyone who serves on the disciplinary committee receives a £10 to help with travel expenses.

An idea for promotion play-offs between the teams that finish third from bottom and third from top in divisions one, two and three is to be put forward and a proposal to do away with the annual League handbook to ease the workload on officers.

“These, and other ideas and rule changes suggestions, will be on the agenda for discussion at the league’s November meeting,” said general secretary Malcolm Fletcher.

Minutes On Website - But For Now . . .

posted Oct 9, 2017, 5:31 AM by Malcolm Fletcher

The minutes from this year's League meeting will be appearing on this website short under a new Icon above. They will then be available to download - as in the past - once a new system is sorted out with new minute secretary rob Buroiughs over the winter
.
But for now, please see below extracts from the Secretary's Report to the Ocotober Executive meeting:
 
"Ladies and gents, the season is over for the bowlers now but the work continues for your League officers. In fact the pace is about to pick up for some of them!! 

Following last month’s meeting, I have informed Wolverhampton-based ECC, who want to join our Friday night divisions in 2018, that the League require and official letter of application and assurances about player conduct. Nothing has been received as yet. I have contacted Staffs county assoc sec Mark Bircumshaw who, in his near 3 years in the role of secretary, has had no issues with ECC. But given the contacts for ECC from various websites, I am not actually sure who their bowls club secretary is! It could be Dave Taylor, or Cath Hyatt! Meeting informed other contact for ECC, Charles Evans, had died. 

The League proudly sent two teams down to Ludlow to take part in the Shropshire junior inter-league championship – making up a third of the entries! Both teams did us proud and the A team were mighty unlucky not to make the main final after drawing with hosts and red hot favourites Ludlow in their round robin group at Burway, where they took on a drew with five home bowlers out of six.

Sadly that match was marred by unacceptable language by a Ludlow team member , who after a protest made via the organiser, was made to offer a grudging apology to the lady marker he had abused. That cast a shadow over the day, but a never-say-die victory in the consolation final against Whitchurch A was a fantastic reward for the efforts of the youngsters, who were captained so well by league and county under-18 champion Harry Church. And big thanks to Brenda Slingo, Derek Killen and Phil Venables for all they did. 

Another big success from my point of view was the re-launch of the Dave Ellis Shield in its new guise as a Mid Shropshire League ladies versus gents challenge match. It was played on Saturday (Sept 30) at Sinclair with a 6pm start and, due to the lateness of the arrangements, it was mainly matches of family or club connections.

In the end there were 15 individual games and the men ended up winning by 33 shots. Despite it being a wet night, everyone seemed to enjoy it and the atmosphere was nice and relaxed – so I intend to stick with the same format next year and have asked Allscott to host it, hopefully in September. But for now my sincere thanks go to Sinclair for all they did and everyone who took part. 

And finally, perhaps the best news of all, just days after the September meeting I got mail from Sport England telling us that our second bid for a small grant to buy five sets of state of the art junior coaching junior equipment had been SUCCESSFUL.

We have been awarded £7,145 and to say I’m chuffed after so much hard work went into the bid is an understatement! It’s the culmination of three years work, which started with the Junior Development Policy that was eventually put into practice with the After Schools Bowls Club at Hadley Learning Community and Charlton. And that policy, with its lessons plans, is there for ALL member clubs who have the willingness to try and to boost their younger numbers to use when they approach their local primary school offering coaching for youngsters.

But this grant will help take the policy to a new level – and provide coaching for all ages at clubs not just in Mid Shropshire but all over the county.

There are still one or two things to iron out before we get the money – one being to go to the county association next week and the coaching body to set up a proper structure to implement use of the coaching equipment.

But this is a national first and my sincere thanks go to the likes of Steve Roberts and Rob Burroughs who worked so hard with me on the policy, the people and coaches who put it into practice at HLC, Joe Lockley at Energize and perhaps most of all my wife Marg who had to put up with all my moaning about the project taking up too much of my time.

I’m just so pleased to say we got there in the end!!! "

Gents Glory In Dave Ellis Challenge Shield Re-launch

posted Oct 2, 2017, 1:27 PM by Malcolm Fletcher   [ updated Oct 13, 2017, 4:30 AM by stephen wall ]

The League's gents beat the ladies by 33 shots as the new Dave Ellis Shield was played for at Sinclair on Saturday 30th September for the first time.

They won 11 of the 15 individual games that made up the match on an evening when not even the damp condition could dampen the relaxed atmosphere.

MSBL gen sec Malcolm Fletcher said: "From my point of view it was a successful re-launch of the Dave Ellis Shield.

"Due to the lateness of the arrangements, it was mainly matches of family or club connections and, despite it being a wet night, everyone seemed to enjoy it and the atmosphere was nice and relaxed.

"So I intend to stick with the same format next year and have asked Allscott to host it, hopefully in September.

"But for now my sincere thanks go to Sinclair (Don Hood, Kerry Millman, Elsie Pugh et al) for all they did - and everyone who took part."


Dave Ellis Challenge Re-launched

posted Sep 28, 2017, 11:53 AM by Malcolm Fletcher

The Dave Ellis Challenge Shield, once contested by Mid Shropshire and the Shrewsbury on an annual inter-league basis, will be re-launched in a new guise on Saturday 30th September.

Now that annual contest has been consigned to the history books, the new annual challenge will take the form of a Mid Shropshire gents v Mid Shropshire ladies match, with the first one at Sinclair with a 6pm start.

Because it has been arranged at such a late stage, the organiser has gone for mainly pairings with family or club ties so that confirmation of those available to play would be easier to discover. 

So please see  below the confirmed pairings at this stage . . . and we could always try and fit in a couple more if YOU would like to play (just contact Malcolm!)


The 1st Dave Ellis Challenge – MSBL gents v ladies

On Saturday 30th October at Sinclair, 6pm start

Confirmed pairings (but not in playing order!)

Gents                      v              Ladies

1       Don Hood                     v                 Norma Hood

2       Stuart Church               v                Kerry Drew

3       Steve Miles                  v                 Celia Miles

4       Phil Craggs                   v                 Jayne Craggs

5       Jonathan Waland          v                 Fiona Waland

6       Mike Wainwright         v                 Kate Suggett

7       Adrian Bailey                v                 Debbie Nisbit

8       Mick Cornes                 v                Annette Lucas

9       Derek Killen                 v                 Angela Boot

10     Bernard Higgins          v                 Ellen Higgins

11     Maz Taylor                   v                 Beryl Taylor

12     Tom Killen                   v                 Marg Fletcher

13     Joe Killen                     v                 Brenda Slingo

14     George Law                  v                 June Law

Res   Mike Potter                   v                 Linda Potter

The plan is to get one bowler from each pairing to draw a number out of a hat at 6pm to see when they will be playing. And we will start off with five blocks on the green to ensure we finish before 9pm for the hot food to follow – which we will pay for by running a raffle with several prizes to be won.

AND THE KEY THING IS THAT THE MATCH IS PLAYED IN THE RIGHT SPIRT AND ENJOYED BY EVERYONE – SO THAT WE BRING THE CURTAIN DOWN ON THE MSBL SEASON IN A FUN AWAY . . .

Thursday Is Nosh And Title Decider Night!

posted Sep 25, 2017, 5:04 AM by Malcolm Fletcher   [ updated Sep 25, 2017, 5:09 AM ]

Just a quick reminder to all teams who are at home this week in the Dennis Lewis Thursday Division.

As it is the last night of the season on Thursday 28th September, the tradition is that reams who are at home put on some post match food for their visitors.

New champions will be crowned on a tense last night.

Leaders Bowring A entertain Shifnal with a one point advantage over SIr John Bayley who make the short trip to face Allscott.

And there will almost certainly be a new team in the division next year with Shawbury-based Elephant & Castle having already made an official application . . . 

Junior Pride In Abundance

posted Sep 21, 2017, 1:40 PM by Malcolm Fletcher   [ updated Sep 22, 2017, 11:03 PM by stephen wall ]

The League's under-18s came home with some silverware after giving the hosts, holders and eventual winners Ludlow an almighty scare in the Shropshire  junior inter-league championship on Sunday 25th September.

Ludlow retained the main six-a-side title by beating Tanners Shropshire by 12 shots in the final at Craven Arms.

But that was only after their team, featuring five Burway youngsters, had been held to a draw by Mid Shropshire A on the Ludlow club’s No.1 green in the round robin group stage.

The holders secured a place in the main final on a better aggregate by virtue of having beaten SPS Whitchurch B by 67 chalks while Mid Shropshire’s first string beat them by 53 before battling bravely to hold the hosts to a 108-108 draw.

Captained by Shropshire and League under-18 champion Harry Church, Mid Shropshire A’s consolation was to win the supplementary final - but they looked down and out at one stage against Whitchurch A.

Ben Hinton bowled brilliantly to win 21-7 for Whitchurch, but the Telford-based league rallied with young Akeel Khan getting 18 from 19-6 down before Joe Killen and Joe Dorricott got them over the line by just two chalks.

Just six teams - two of them from Mid Shropshire, thanks to much organisation by the likes of Brenda Slingo, Derek Killen and Phil Venables - contested the two groups at Burway and County President Mike Caddick presented the trophies later in the day at last minute finals hosts Craven Arms.
 
Supplementary final scores – Mid Shropshire A 109 Whitchurch A 107:

Harry Church 21 Louis Moult 14, Susie Lawson 21 Luke Grocott 19, Tom Killen 7 Ben Hinton 21, Akeel Khan 18 Daniel Perkins 21, Joe Killen 21 Josh Warner 19, Joe Dorricott 21 Edward Proudlove 13.

Junior Joy For Mid Shropshire

posted Sep 17, 2017, 12:34 PM by Malcolm Fletcher

The under-18 A team brought home some silverware from the Shropshire junior inter-league championship hosted by the Ludlow League on Sunday 17th September.

Skippered by county champion Harry Church, they won the supplementary trophy by beating Whitchurch A by two shots in the final at Craven Arms.

The thrilling victory owed much to a fine fight back by Akeel Khan and last bower Joe Dorricott winning 21-13, which meant they won four of the six games.

Church & Co were unlucky not to appear in the main final, having drawn with hosts Ludlow in their round robin group decider on Burway No.1 - against five home bowlers - only to miss out on top spot in the final table on aggregate.

Full story with scores and picture to follow shortly . . . 

1-10 of 171