Updated after 2017 AGM on January 31
A pdf version of the rules can be found at the bottom of this page
League Individual Merit, Dixon-Driscoll Doubles, League Triples, Mixed Doubles, Under-18 Merit, Under-15 Merit, Junior Doubles, Under-25 Merit, Over-60 Merit, Harris Cup and Ashton Trophies. Code of Conduct (see appendix A) will apply to all competitions.
1. (a) The League Merit, Dixon-Driscoll Doubles and League Triples shall be open to all registered players in the Mid-Shropshire Bowling League subject to rule 8 below.
(b) All competitors shall play off scratch but the League may handicap home bowlers if it is not practicable to hold the competitions on a neutral green.
(c) The handicaps shall be agreed by the Management Committee.
(d) All games shall be 21 up.
2. The entry fees and amount of prize money shall be fixed by the League.
3. No substitutes shall be allowed in the Merit after the closing date for entries or, in the Doubles or Triples after the preliminary rounds.
4. Qualifying rounds shall be played on neutral greens with 16 to qualify for the Merit and 8 pairs or triples in those competitions.
5. Disputes arising in the qualifying rounds shall be settled by the players nominated by the League to control that green and such decisions will be final.
6. Referees for the finals shall be appointed by the League.
7. Entries for the League Triples shall consist of 4 players who shall be registered with the same Club, only one of which may be a member of the current County Team or of the County Team the previous year. Teams playing must consist of any 3 of the 4 nominated players.
8. Trophies shall be presented to the competition winners at the final, therefore current holders shall return trophies to the Competitions Secretary at least 7 day’s prior the final.
9. Competition winners shall return trophies to the Competitions Secretary at the October meeting of the Executive for engraving.
10. Clubs that host a competition must agree, when called upon by a league officer, to ask any bowler barred from league competitions to leave their premises.
1. Players on the named list as per rule 21(c) shall not be permitted to play in the Mid Shropshire Merit - unless they have played a minimum total of 10 Thursday and / or Saturday division games in the previous and / or current season at the time of the entry deadline.
1. Players on the named list as per rule 21(c) shall be permitted to play in the Dixon-Driscoll Doubles, but limited to one per pair from that list.
1. Entry to the Mixed Doubles is open to all bowlers registered in the Mid-Shropshire League. The last 8 pairs to qualify for the finals.
Under-18 Merit and Under-15 Merit:
1. These competitions shall be open to all registered bowlers in the Mid-Shropshire League who satisfy the following conditions:
Under-18 Merit - Competitors shall not have reached the age of 18 years in accordance with the definition approved by the BCGBA in the rules for the Junior Merit Championship.
Under-15 Merit - Competitors shall not have reached the age of 15 years on January 1st in the year of the competition.
2. All games shall be 21 up. All competitors shall play off scratch but the League may handicap home bowlers if it is not practicable to hold the competitions on a neutral green.
3. The handicaps shall be agreed by the Management Committee.
4. Rule 2 (entry fees) and 6 (referees) of the main competition rules shall apply.
Fletcher Junior Doubles (Trading Post Cup):
1. Eligible to all juniors who are under 18 years of age on the 1st January, in the year of Competition.
2. To be played off in one day on a neutral green.
3. All other rules are the same as the Mid-Shropshire Management and League Match Rules.
1. Entry to the Under-25 Merit is open to all bowlers registered in the Mid-Shropshire League.
1. Entry to the Over-60 Merit is open to all bowlers registered in the Mid-Shropshire League.
W. G. HARRIS CUP:
(b) Teams shall receive a handicap score according to their League position at the time of the first draw. Premier League sides will all give 20 shots, plus one shot for their finishing position the previous season - so the reigning champions would be handicapped 20+14=34, the runners-up 20+13=33 etc. The top side in division one would be off scratch, second place +1, third place +2 etc. and players shall be those normally associated with that team.
(c) All games to be played on or before the dates set by the League. Changes of dates or nominated greens may only take place if both teams agree and the Competitions Secretary is notified in advance. At no time may the fixture be re-arranged to take place after the original date and if no agreement is reached the match shall take place on the date specified.
5. A player may play in only one team. The team for which he plays being the nominated team.
6. In the event of a tie, the replayed tie must be arranged by mutual agreement and played before the date of the next round.
7. Home teams shall be responsible for sending result sheets but both Captains should ensure that the sheets have been completed correctly.
8. The Final shall be played on a Saturday at a neutral green decided by the Management Committee.
9. In the event of the Final being a tie, both the aggregate result and the games won, the prize money shall be equally shared and the trophy held for 6 months each.
1. Competition is open to Monday night teams from Division 4 and below.
2. Teams who enter must select a squad that must be submitted to the competition secretary 48 hours before the first league games of a new season. Only players from this squad will be eligible to play in ties, and any changes to squads must be approved by the competition secretary in consultation with the scrutineer.
3. Any bowler who is registered on their club’s Named Players list(s) for the Friday divisions or Premier League, when the squad(s) are named, is ineligible to play in the Ashton Trophies. Once a bowler has played for a team in the competition, he or she will be cup tied from joining another team if their club has more than one entry.
4. To be eligible to play in the semi-finals and final of both competitions, all bowlers must have played as least 4 Monday night league games.
5. Winners shall hold the Ashton Cup for 12 months and receive a monetary award. Teams losing in the preliminaries or first rounds shall be entered in a consolation competition, to be played under the same set of rules, the winners of which shall hold the Ashton Shield for 12 months and receive a monetary award. Prize money shall also be paid to runners-up and losing semi-finalists.
6. Numbers of players shall be 10, playing 5 at home and 5 away on the same day. Teams shall receive a handicap score according to their League position at the time of the first draw, top side in Division 4 off scratch, second place 1, third place 2 etc.
7. Winners of ties will be decided by aggregate. If that is drawn, the victors will be the team with the most winners from the 10 games. If that is level, the outcome will be decided by the best card – and if that is the same it will be the second best card etc.
8. Result sheets must reach the competition secretary not later than 3 working days after the match, failure to comply will result in a £5 fine. Winning teams shall be responsible for sending the results sheets, but both captains should ensure that the sheets have been completed correctly
OR, when we take up the Mike Beckett on-line option:
8. Winning teams shall ensure the result details are entered on the website within 48 hours of ties being played. Failure to comply with this rule will result in a fine of £5. The details should then be checked and approved by the losing team with five days of the tie being played. Clubs should retain result sheets until the end of the season in case of disputes.
9. The 10-a-side finals will be played on a neutral green decided by the Management or Executive Committee.
Inter-League and Inter-Divisional Matches:
1. Selectors are permitted to select any player who has played a minimum of 50% of matches in any of the Mid Shropshire Divisions leading up to the selection meeting(s).
2. In the Senior Inter League the first four placed players in the division 1 averages from the preceding season should be offered a place in the team automatically. The remaining places to be selected at the discretion of the selection committee.